—— The spirit of my work is to think with drawing.
Drawing and painting are fabulous links between your brain and your hand : a real way for understanding.
Trained in architecture at the Boulle school, Thierry Machuron is a « painter-traveller ». Drawing is his preferred mode of expression, with travel experiences and impressions as his main models. He has been travelling the world for more than ten years and brings back images, most often drawn, from many countries : Cuba, Tahiti, China, United States, Russia, Europe... Drawings and painting in ink, with watercolour, oil or gouache, graphic tablet, from nature or back in the workshop.
He is in 2020 co-founder of the team « Urban Sketchers Nevers » #UrbanSketchersNevers
He published in 2020, a sketchbook about drawing : « for drawing ».
The first chapter is about forging a personnal style, drawing construction steps, methods and processes.
The second is about traveling as an everlasting source of inspiration, with extracts from sketchbooks.
Available on Blurb.com — ISBN 9781714872497
Sur le motif au jardin d'Apremont —
Crédit Photo © Lola Jamin
Researches about how to teach drawing and design are published on a weblog « Educational Portal / Skills & methods for students in arts & design ». Several ressources are published in order to help beginners.
Career history :
Burgundy High School of Applied Arts & Design - Nevers - France September 1999 > present Graphic design School Lycée Renoir - Paris – France 1998 > 1999
Training workshops for young teachers at Suzhou Art & Design Technology Institute - China - 2011 > 2016 & 2019
Teaching applied arts & design for undergraduate (Bachelor level) / Arts & Design, First & Second Year Arts & Design - preparing students for graduation of high schools - preparing students for examination of ENS Paris Saclay, Upper High school for Design teaching. 2014 > Present
Academic qualifications :
English certification for educational issues High level competitive examination for recruiting teachers of Applied Art & Design in 1999, Paris (French Agrégation) ; Postgraduate of Interior Design & Furniture in 1998 , High School of Design « École Boulle », Paris.
Educational and artistic engagements :
- International programmes and mobility for students - Regular experience for crossover workshops with China (Suzhou Design Institute) - Writing official teaching programmes for French ministry of National Education
- Workshop and seminary with the product-design department at NCAD National College of Art and Design in Dublin, 2016
- Member of Jury for academic diploma in French Polynesia - Tahiti, Papeete, 2017
- Member of Jury for the Grand Award of Illustration for Youth at MIJ - Moulins, 2018 > 2022
- Member of Jury for End-of-Course Project at « École Nationale Supérieure de Paysage de Versailles », 2018
- Member of Jury for High level competitive examination for recruiting teachers of Applied Art & Design, 8 mandates, 2002 > Present
- Trainer of teachers in applied arts and art in different academies (Dijon, Besançon, Martinique, Guadeloupe), 2023
Drawings exhibition at the Design Art and Technology Institute Suzhou, during a group exhibition, China, 2010 ; Drawings exhibition at the Jean Chacheleux art and ceramics workshop, Saint Amand en Puisaye, Burgundy, France, 2012 ;
Drawings exhibition at the ABW Warnant architecture studio, Nevers, France, 2014 ;
Exhibition at the Les Chapelains art gallery, Nevers, France 2015 ;
Exhibition in La Charité sur Loire : Association Les Remparts, Year of Comics, summer 2020.
Exhibition in Nevers with the collective "Illus" for 4 weeks, winter 2022.
Exhibition in Nevers during Heritage days, march 2023.
Many drawings in private collections since 2010.
La wishlist du Gentleman Moderne : Gentlemanmoderne.com
Blog Kazoart : 6 Techniques de peinture sans pinceau
Podcast about the book « For drawing » in Les voix du livre par Claire Garand. An interview about this book : how and why i did it ?
Thierry Machuron — Dessins
Nevers / Burgundy / France
Siren : 491246625